The holiday season is just around the corner! It is time for family bondings, festive music, delicious meals, and gift giving. It is quite a tough time for oral health due to the overload of sweets. Like children, the bacteria in the mouth also love to feast on sugary treats. Unfortunately, it can lead to the development of cavities due to the acids produced that can gradually wear down the enamel. It seems like the holiday season is also the favorite time of harmful substances.
Dental professionals would not encourage parents to stop their children from enjoying the foods they love during this time of the year. At Avalon Dental Group, we will share some tips that parents can do to keep their children’s oral health in great shape even during the holidays.
- Enjoy in moderation
- It may be hard for parents to limit their children, but it is for the best. Try to prepare various healthy foods like fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, lean protein, and whole grains. Maintaining a well-balanced, nutritious diet is ideal not only to overall health but the oral state as well. During events where sweet treats are present, teach your children to limit any junk foods and eat something healthy for balance.
- Oral hygiene practices should be a priority
- Build a good foundation for your children’s dental health care by teaching them the necessity of brushing twice a day for two minutes, flossing at least once, and rinsing regularly. Despite the busyness of the holidays, make sure to remind and supervise your children. Using a fluoridated toothpaste would work best for it can protect the teeth against the attack of harmful acids.
- Tooth-friendly gifts
- Why not give your child a toothbrush with their favorite cartoon or movie character and toothpaste that comes in their favorite flavors? Doing so may help encourage them to enjoy the practice of oral health care and hygiene more.
- Stay Hydrated
- A sufficient amount of water ensures that there will be enough production of saliva in the mouth. Believe it or not, saliva can keep the teeth free from harmful bacteria and acids. It can act as a natural cleanser for your child’s mouth that gets rid of factors that can compromise their teeth.
- Schedule regular dental appointments
- Do not forget to schedule your child’s visit to the dentist for their cleanings and checkups. Although oral hygiene is observed, having the attention of a professional can assure parents that their children are in excellent oral health.
Your children also deserve outstanding dental care services! We provide pediatric dentistry services in Sugar Land, TX. Book your appointment with us at Avalon Dental Group and let us help you achieve beautiful and healthy teeth!