Dental crowns have been used for decades. They are a time-tested and effective solution for restoring a tooth that has suffered extensive damage. However, crowns can be used in more ways than one. They are now crafted for a better fit, made to last longer and come in a variety of durable, aesthetically pleasing materials. Here are three reasons why you may hear your dentist suggest a dental crown:
- Restore a Severely Damaged or Decayed Tooth
- This is the most common reason for placing a crown. When a tooth is decayed or damaged beyond what a dental filling can repair, a crown is needed. A crown encases all visible sides of the affected tooth and provides functional and cosmetic improvement. If a tooth has become infected, a root canal may be needed prior to placing the crown.
- Replace a Missing Tooth
- When a patient loses a single tooth, the best replacement solution is a dental implant. Once the implant has healed and fused to the underlying jawbone, a crown is used as the implant restoration on top. In this case, your custom crown serves as your permanent artificial tooth.
- Cosmetically Improve an Unsightly Tooth
- A crown can also be used solely for cosmetic reasons. If you have a tooth that is severely discolored, chipped or misshapen, a cosmetic crown can immediately fix the issue. Crowns can be custom crafted in shape, size and color to meet your goals and blend seamlessly with the rest of your smile.
Have more questions about dental crowns? Call us at Avalon Dental Group. We take pride in our ability to offer top quality crowns as a valued solution for many types of dental concerns. Our dentist also offers crown replacement if you feel like your old crown looks worn or unnatural.